Frequently asked questions


Why can’t I view my member statement online?

You will not be able to use Member Services Online to view your member statement if you are:

  • a member who is subject to family law split during the financial year ending 30 June 2012, or
  • a family law associate of the DFRDB.

You may also have been excluded from receiving a statement if we have received two items of mail ‘Return to Sender’. If you think we may have your incorrect address on file, please call the Customer Information Centre on 1300 001 677 so that we can update your address and request your statement be sent to you.

I think my superannuation salary/rank on my statement is incorrect

Your annual statement shows the details we have on file as of 30 June 2012. If you changed rank after 30 June 2012, this will not be reflected on your statement.

If you want to confirm that we have your correct rank, you can call our Customer Information Centre on 1300 001 677.

Why do I have a negative co-contribution?

We have been directed by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to recover co-contributions from members where there has been an overpayment.

If this applies to you, you will notice a negative co-contribution rate reported in your 2011-2012 member statement.

Please call the ATO on 13 10 20 if you have any enquiries

Why did I receive a MilitarySuper statement when I am in the DFRDB?

You are still a DFRDB member. DFRDB contributors can choose to make a range of voluntary contributions or transfers to MilitarySuper. These are known as Ancillary Contributions.

If you have chosen to make Ancillary Contributions, they will be to a MilitarySuper account. You will however become a member of MilitarySuper and any Ancillary benefits will be paid as an additional benefit to your DFRDB benefit.

As a result, you receive a MilitarySuper Ancillary Benefit statement as well as your DFRDB member statement each year.

Pensions (Including CPI and tax)

What is the new CPI rate?

The January 2014 CPI increase is 1.6%

How is the CPI increase calculated?

Please refer to the Pension Update - Issue 23 [PDF 198 KB]

If you would like more information on the CPI rates used in the calculation go to the ABS here

Why is tax taken from my DFRDB pension?

DFRDB pensions are considered to be taxable income by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and therefore we are obliged to deduct tax from your pension according to the relevant PAYG taxation schedules.

We will deduct any tax concessions you are eligible for automatically each fortnight, unless you have advised us that you wish to claim these concessions on an annual basis through your income tax return.

If you think you should not be paying tax on your pension you will need to apply to the ATO for an assessment. You can do this by completing a PAYG income tax withholding variation (ITWV) form available at ato.gov.au and submitting it to the ATO. Once the ATO has provided you with an assessment, you can forward this information to the DFRDB and we will apply any changes to your tax on the next available payday.

More information can be found in the Taxation offsets for pension factsheet [PDF: 155 KB]

I’ve recently turned 60, will this affect my pension?

Once you turn 60 there may be significant tax changes to your DFRDB pension. For more information please refer to the Tax concessions for pensions factsheet [PDF: 171 KB]

Third party (including financial advisors)

I am calling on behalf of a member, how can I get information?

If we have verbal or written authority from the member, we can provide a nominated third party with information on their account.

Verbal authority: Before we can release any information we need to perform an identification check on the member and receive verbal authority to speak with the nominated third party. Verbal authority is only valid for that call.

Written authority: The member can provide a written authority, which clearly states the name of the person/s and firm (if applicable) nominated as a third party.

All requests for written authority must be signed by the member and include at least three points of valid identification that we can match to the member’s file.

Each time you (the third party) calls, you will be asked to provide four points of identification.

Examples of identification include:

  • full name
  • membership or reference number
  • date of birth
  • current address.

Authorities can be scanned and emailed, faxed, or posted. Our contact details can be found under contact us.

I have Power of Attorney (POA) for a member/pensioner; what do I need to do?

You need to post us a certified copy of the Power of Attorney (POA). To be valid, the POA or an attached cover letter needs to contain at least three points of identification, which can be matched to the member’s file and must show the member’s signature.

Each time you (the Power of Attorney) calls, you will be asked to provide four points of identification.

Examples of identification include:

  • full name
  • membership or reference number
  • date of birth
  • current address.

If you wish to make changes to the member’s account, you will need to put your request in writing along with three points of member identification.

Our contact details can be found under Contact us.

Membership, contributions and transfers

If I have not paid contributions for more than 12 months, am I considered a lost member and will my benefits then be transferred to the ATO?


New lost member arrangements that come into effect from 1 July 2013 do not apply to defined benefit schemes such as the DFRDB. As a DFRDB member, you may have a preserved MilitarySuper ancillary benefit. This component of your benefit remains preserved in MilitarySuper until claimed after reaching your preservation age.

However, preserved ancillary benefits cannot be left preserved in MilitarySuper past age 65. Therefore, if you do not claim your benefit when you reach age 65 and ComSuper has not received any money on your behalf for the past 2 years and it has been 5 years since we last had contact from you, then all or part of your benefit may be transferred to the ATO as unclaimed money.

Please make sure the contact details you have provided to us are up to date. This will ensure that you receive regular member statements and other fund updates about your preserved benefit.

How can I change my contribution rate?

As a DFRDB member, you must contribute 5.5% of your fortnightly salary for superannuation purposes. If you wish, you can make additional personal contributions or salary sacrifice to a MilitarySuper Ancillary account on top of your DFRDB contributions.

You can make additional personal contributions directly to ComSuper as a cheque or money order. Each contribution must be accompanied by an Additional personal contributions deposit form [PDF 1 MB]. More information can be found under Contributions.

Salary sacrifice contributions can be arranged by contacting Smart Salary.

How much does Defence contribute?

Defence’s contribution is taken out of consolidated revenue when you claim your benefit. Your final benefit is calculated as a percentage of your annual salary, depending on your years of service.

More information about how your benefit is calculated can be found in the Retirement benefits factsheet [PDF 290 KB].

Is there a limit on how much I can contribute into the fund?

You can contribute as much as you want to a MilitarySuper Ancillary account. However, contributing over the contribution caps will have tax implications.

Concessional caps

The cap on concessional contributions is $25,000 for the financial year 2012-13. The following contributions count toward the concessional contributions cap:

  • any salary sacrifice contributions
  • any superannuation guarantee contributions.

Non-concessional caps

The cap on non-concessional contributions is $150,000 per year or $450,000 over three years. Non-concessional contributions which count towards your cap include:

  • additional personal contributions.

Information about the tax implications of going over the caps can be found on the ATO’s website under Super contributions - too much super can mean extra tax.

How do I claim my member contributions on tax?

Please see below the link that explains who is eligible to claim their personal super contributions as a tax deduction on the Australian Taxation Office website under Claiming deductions for personal super contributions’.

One of the criteria to be eligible to make a claim is the ‘maximum earnings as an employee’ condition.

Under this rule, to claim member contributions paid to the DFRDB, your assessable income for a financial year from the Australian Defence Force would need to be 10% or less of your ‘Total Taxable income”.

Can I transfer/roll my super into the DFRDB?

DFRDB rules do not allow for transfers in of superannuation from another fund. However, while you are a contributing member, you can have your money rolled into a MilitarySuper Ancillary account which is additional to your DFRDB account.

You can do this by completing the Application to pay in a transfer amount form (MAC02) and sending it to your other fund for processing. They may require more information or identification from you before processing the transfer.

The form and more information about transfers in can be found under Roll ins and transfers at http://www.militarysuper.gov.au/


Can I roll out my DFRDB benefit?

You cannot withdraw or roll out your DFRDB benefit until you discharge from Defence. However, if you have a MilitarySuper Ancillary Account, you can roll this to another fund at any time, even if you are still serving in the Military.

I have transferred to the reserves, can I still contribute?

Only full-time serving members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) can contribute or receive contributions into the DFRDB on their behalf. Reservists are not considered full-time serving members under DFRDB legislation. Your contributions will recommence if you re-enlist or accept a Continuing Full-Time Service (CFTS) contract from the ADF.

Please note that if you do re-enlist and wish to remain a member of the DFRDB, you must provide a completed D100 form to the DFRDB before you commence employment. If you do not do this, you will become a MilitarySuper member by default, which cannot be reversed.

More information can be found on the esuming ADF full-time service factsheets under Factsheets.

Death and invalidity benefits

Can I nominate or change my beneficiaries?

DFRDB scheme rules determine who receives your DFRDB benefit in the event of your death, which means that the DFRDB cannot accept binding beneficiary nominations. Under the DFRDB rules, in the event of your death your benefit will be paid to any eligible spouse and/or eligible children. An eligible spouse is defined as a person who was living in a marital or couple relationship with you at the time of your death, for a continuous period of three years or more. If you were in a relationship for less than three years, the Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation (Trustee of the DFRDB) may still declare a spouse to be eligible.

If you don’t have eligible beneficiaries at the time of your death, your DFRDB benefit will be paid to your estate. In this case, you can nominate beneficiaries in your will. For more information please refer to the Dependant’s benefits factsheet [PDF 210 KB]

Do I have insurance cover?

Although traditional insurance is not offered through the DFRDB, serving full-time members do receive death and invalidity cover. This cover is provided under the scheme rules and you do not pay insurance premiums or other fees for the cover.

More information can be found under invalidity.

I will be medically discharged, can I withdraw my superannuation?

If you are discharged from the Australian Defence Force as medically unfit for further service and have completed 20 years of service, you will be eligible for a DFRDB benefit.

Any invalidity benefits are designed to help meet your income needs in retirement or resettlement into the civilian workforce. Compensation and repatriation benefits may also be paid to you by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

More information is available under invalidity.

If you are going to be medically discharged and have completed less than 20 years of service, please contact our Customer Information Centre on 1300 001 677 to discuss your options.

Financial hardship

Financial hardship

DFRDB rules do not allow for any DFRDB benefits to be accessed early under financial hardship or specified grounds. However, if you have a MilitarySuper Ancillary Account, these benefits may be accessed if you meet the criteria for early release.

More information can be found on the Early access to your superannuation benefits factsheet [PDF 142 KB]

Family law

I’ve separated from my partner? What do I need to do?

Super can be split for family law purposes.

For more information please refer to the Family law and splitting super booklet [PDF 902 KB].

Fees and charges

What fees and charges do I pay?

As a member of the DFRDB, you do not pay any administration fees or member transaction costs. These costs are covered by Defence.

There is an investment management fee known as an indirect cost ratio (ICR) applied to each member’s invested funds. As a DFRDB member, only your MilitarySuper Ancillary account (if applicable) is invested.

The ICR reflects the ratio of all investment management expenses as a proportion of the fund’s total assets. This amount is not deducted from your account but is an approximation of your share of investment management expenses which have been deducted over the year before unit prices have been declared.

The ICR for each investment strategy is updated on the MilitarySuper website. More information can be found under investment and performance.


Where can I find the DFRDB rules?

The rules governing the DFRDB can be found under legislation.